nathan_rudman
Master Anaplanner/Community Boss

[Guide] Multi Level filter selection on composite hierarchy

If you are using a multi level composite hierarchy as your main reporting list (as you should vs ragged), you have encountered the need to filter it and display many levels of it in many different dashboards.

Recently re-discovered a solution that I find quite handy and decided to share it here.

Here's the result. As you can see below, a user can select any level of the hierarchy, one by one and then all is concatenated into a final line item that you can use as a filter, to create the two grids below.

I'm adding a "filter" dimension to that module so you can have several filters pre set.

nathan_rudman_0-1608210907060.png

How do you achieve this ? Like this:

nathan_rudman_1-1608211056398.png

And here are the formulas:

nathan_rudman_2-1608211107915.png

The trick is on the summary level being Ratio. This allows us to bring the value of a parent level into the summary level of a child, like this:

nathan_rudman_3-1608211180294.png

Nathan Rudman, Anaplan Model Builder
6 REPLIES6
JaredDolich

再保险(指导):多层次过滤器选择精神上ite hierarchy

@nathan_rudman

Finally got to this. Amazed this isn't a best practice. We really need a good solution for the filtering. Thank you for posting this!

Jared Dolich
alexpavel
Certified Master Anaplanner

@nathan_rudmanthanks for sharing.. .

@JaredDolichthere was some old article in some previous Community releases... I am not able to find it anymore the original solution.

I found only this post

https://community.anaplan.com/t5/Best-Practices/Calculating-Levels-in-a-Hierarchy-for-Dashboard-Filt...

I always used this solution for multi-level filtering.

Ratio summary method: really powerful. I also used it for example to "stop" the aggregations from some level up.. (for example when you do not want to have Local Currencies values aggregated at Total Group...:slightly_smiling_face:)

JaredDolich

@alexpavel

Can't believe I missed that. Thank you!!

Jared Dolich
nathan_rudman

forgot this article completely.

This method been around "officially" since 2015 at least, I don't claim to have invented it:slightly_smiling_face:

alexpavel
Certified Master Anaplanner

@nathan_rudmanany good idea said it and re-said it does not heart:slightly_smiling_face:

nathan_rudman

I remember when my boss then had the idea it was possible, he challenged me and another guy, who managed it first.

T'was the days !