DavidSmith
Master Anaplanner/Community Boss

Bulk Copy Action

Hello all

We are refining the functionality for Bulk Copy as an action. We could do with some clarity over how you see this being used, specifically with regard to ALM.

Just a couple of initial points

1. We are not changing the existing functionality of the Bulk Copy action on the versions screen

2. We are going to allow you to create an action on the actions screen where you choose/set

• Name of the action
  • the List on which to perform the copy
  • Source Member
  • Target Member

and then save the action for future use

2. The action will initially only be available for Workspace Admins

the question I have is do you think this would be used for Production lists? - From the requests it seems more targeted at structural lists as part of initialisation/update processes

As ever, I'd welcome any thoughts

David

26 REPLIES26
AlejandroGomez

Re: Bulk Copy Action

great news, thanks@DavidSmith

I do not personally see what could be the harm of applying Bulk Copy to a Production List, so I think is better if it works for both, Production and Structural lists.

Also, the fact that the action will be only available for WSadmins reminds me of the petition to make available for end users the ability to download the model history.https://community.anaplan.com/t5/Idea-Exchange/Enable-History-download-for-Non-Admin/idi-p/77198

So I would say, if possible, to make this action available and accessible for end users too.

Cheers,

Alex.

Misbah

@DavidSmith

这将是一个巨大的胜利。对我来说,总是structural list like Rolling Versions, snapshotting etc. Bulk copy like feature can be automated which is a great great win.

One question though can an action be modified once it has been created with List, Source member and target member?

DavidSmith

@Misbah

@AlejandroGomez

The challenge of end users is always selective access - It adds a massive amount of complexity of what can and can't be copied. Not saying we'd never do it, but not likely for the initial release

And yes, the action would be editable as per any other action once created - In fact for this to work with ALM, you would have to be able to edit the source and target members because if the list was a production list, the members in PROD are very likely to be different to DEV

One question for you both, and the wider audience. the original request for this was because it negated the need to be in the UI. But I'm hearing from others that publishing to a dashboard would also be very useful.

So, if phase 1 was just an action, is that still useful, of do we need to be able to publish the action as well?

David

ashish.banka
SuperContributor

@DavidSmithThanks for sharing the news. I have been working on creating this functionality for end users and this would be great if we can make this feature available for end users.

So , to your point, for Phase 1, if this action would be available only for Workspace Admins, I do not see any reason to get that action published.

Having said that, it would be nice to have feature and definitely must-have feature when we make this action available for end users.

Regards

AB

Misbah

@DavidSmith

As part of Initial release if it is just an action it can be still can be automated thru APIs - that being the major diff between this new feature and Native Bulk Copy feature. Anaplan can then think of updating it further releases. Long Story short yes, it still will be a great feature in initial release.

Misbah

AlejandroGomez

谢谢你的解释@DavidSmith

Reg your question, even thought the action is not meant to be used by end users at this stage, all in all I would rather have the choice to publish the action on dashboards.

DavidSmith

All

Just an update to set expectations:

For the initial release

• we are restricting the action tostructural listsonly, including an error message if you do try and set a list as production that is already used in a previously defined action - There is adding complexity in the UI to allow configuration of the action in deployed mode, and it keeps the deliverable in scope for the February release
  • The action will be able to be published to a dashboard, but only run by Workspace Admins

We will plan to add production lists in time as part of future development

David

RayZhang
New Contributor

what's the status on this one@DavidSmith? is this feature available yet?

Misbah

@RayZhang

David is no longer with Anaplan. This functionality is definitely not part of March Release. Let's see if it it gets delivered in April.