DavidSmith
Community Boss

Bulk Copy Action

Hello all

We are refining the functionality for Bulk Copy as an action. We could do with some clarity over how you see this being used, specifically with regard to ALM.

Just a couple of initial points

1. We are not changing the existing functionality of the Bulk Copy action on the versions screen

2. We are going to allow you to create an action on the actions screen where you choose/set

• Name of the action
  • the List on which to perform the copy
  • Source Member
  • Target Member

and then save the action for future use

2. The action will initially only be available for Workspace Admins

the question I have is do you think this would be used for Production lists? - From the requests it seems more targeted at structural lists as part of initialisation/update processes

和以往一样,I'd welcome any thoughts

David

27 REPLIES27
DelahayeOlivier
Contributor

Any news about this feature? Would be very nice if we could use Bulk Copy in the UX

Phil11
Occasional Contributor

我必须同意需要给end users. If I'm a planner working on my budget or re-forecast I need to be able to quickly copy this to Budget v1 etc. (just for my slice of the data), where I will make some changes to my assumptions and then compare the two side by side. My next step then needs to be either submit the version of my choice upwards, or copy it back to the Budget version, where it becomes my final version that I will then submit.

Am I correct in saying that the only way this can be accomplished currently is via the WSA carrying out a Bulk Copy? Are there any workarounds that don't involve export and reload of data?

gheiler
Contributor

@dkolkaYou should take a look - I have to test but according to this thread, Bulk Copy is for Structural lists only.

rob_marshall

@gheiler

Bulk Copy shouldn't have anything to do with "structural" data as it is only copying transactional data.

Take a look at the below: 

2021-11-09_16-33-16.png2021-11-09_16-40-12.png2021-11-09_16-34-47.png2021-11-09_16-40-33.png2021-11-09_16-40-46.png

The above was on a non Prod Data list, the below is on a Prod Data List

2021-11-09_16-44-33.png2021 - 11 - 09 - _16 45 - 08. png

Rob

gheiler
Contributor

Thanks for getting back@rob_marshall. I am referring to whether the List across which we are bulk copying from Source item to Target item can be a Production list, and referring to David's comment earlier (attached) stating that the action could be set up only for structural non-production lists. Am I misunderstanding what he meant?

I've yet to actually just go ahead and test the action though to get an answer.

rob_marshall

@gheiler

Well, he may have said that and I understand why from anactionstandpoint (what if the source or target was not in the deployed model), but an admin can certainly run it on an ad hoc basis. In my tests above, it was done on a production data list as well as a non production data list.

Rob

gheiler
Contributor

@rob_marshall

Yes I was referring specifically to the action not the original bulk copy functionality itself. It makes sense, and I think the action would maybe need a dynamic option to formulaically mark Source and Target items, with a safe error in case there isn't a mapping, before it could work for the use case I have in mind. Thank you for helping out on this!

George

Misbah

@gheiler

As an action it only works on Structural lists. Basically to take Snapshots, in Versioning etc. on a model level it will be of huge help

Misbah_0-1636526611237.png

Misbah

Miz Logix

gheiler
Contributor

@Misbah

Hope you are well thanks for chiming in and finding that documentation to confirm. That is exactly what I was looking for.

I agree, massive help although ad-hoc snapshotting / versioning with a fake Versions list sometimes requires the list to be Production (to avoid ALM and put the power in the End Users hands), in a sense sort of like Copy Branch could be used in Classic UX to give non-admins ability to create and model scenarios quickly with no ALM without having to create tons of imports to "snapshot" or save data. But like I mentioned above, this wouldn't be possible until the Source and Target items can be formulaically driven or selected upon running the action anyway.

rob_marshall

@gheiler

Yep, along with what@Misbahstated, when you set up the action, it only gives you Non Production Data lists

2021-11-10_08-19-51.png

2021-11-10_08-20-04.png

Rob