damien.bouquier
Certified Master Anaplanner

Users list and Lookup

Hi Everyone,

I have two modules A and B.

The module A has one line item formated as a list "Users". Let's call it myUser.

The module B's dimensionnality is Users (only). It has one boolean lineitem called myBool.

I would like to retreive the value from B.myBool to A.

I wanted to use the formula in module

A.myBool = B.myBool[LOOKUP : myUser]

Anaplan failed with the following error message :

Invalid use of 'Users' list with function 'LOOKUP'

Do you have any workaround ?

Best regards

6 REPLIES6
rob_marshall

Damien,

If you create a new list called "Fake Users" with a top level, you will be able to accomplish in the exact same way as you have stated below, if I am understanding you correctly. Please see the attached.

Please let me know if this helps.

rolympia
Contributor

As of today 5/6/2019, Anaplan does not allow you to transfer values of a line item with the dimensionality ofUsersto another of different dimensionality (say,Custom_Users), even with the use of a mapping (lookup) fromUserstoCustom_Users. The reverse is permissible: if the source is a line item of dimensionalityCustom_Users, it can be brought into another with dimensionalityUsersusing a mapping (lookup) fromCustom_UserstoUsers. There's a distinction to be made, as sometimes, you do want the final working dimension to be a normal non-Userslist (since that has a top level, etc.). In that case, the process would have been 1) input usingUsers-dimensioned line item, 2) transfer toCustom_Users, and 3) do calculations and reports usingCustom_Users. Again, as of writing this is not permissible.

I offer two workarounds:

1) Run an import process that transfers data from theUsers-dimensioned to theCustom_Users-dimensioned.

2) UseCustom Usersas the dimensionality, applying a filter with dimensionalityCustom_UsersxUsers(TRUE ifCustom_Users=Users). This ensures a User can only see his/her correspondingCustom_Userslist element.

I will be first to admit that neither are perfect, 1)'s disadvantage being dependence on a process to be run, and 2)'s disadvantage is requiring aCustom Usersmaintenance toUsers, though this can be solved easily by using the same coding and doing afinditem. Let's hope some enhancement comes its way.

dafinkapancheva
Contributor

Hi@damien.bouquierand@rolympia,

I have some exciting news - we are looking to enable LOOKUP, SUM, TEXTLIST and a number of other functions to be used over the Users list in early Q2.

Keep an eye on the upcoming releases!

Best Regards,

Dafinka

tompatrick.ting
Contributor

@dafinkapanchevaHi,

Do we have any update on this ?

Thanks,

Tom

rob_marshall

@tompatrick.ting

事情仍在track, look for something coming out towards the end of this month. The Users list will not have a Top Level, but you will be able to lookups like@dafinkapanchevamentioned.

Rob

rob_marshall

@damien.bouquier@tompatrick.ting

Please take a look at this...Also,@damien.bouquiertake a look at the first example, it should look familiar.

https://community.anaplan.com/t5/How-To/Summary-Calculations-With-the-User-List/ta-p/106027

Rob